Media and Public Relations Internship
Director of Media and Public Relations
Scope & Purpose:
The department is responsible for management of the company’s digital media content, social media strategy, and press/media/public relations.
This is a seasonal, 40-hour per week internship with varied hours and limited overtime, lasting from late May until early August. As the pre-season and in-season support role for the department, the job requires hands-on and timely completion of the tasks assigned. The position supports other departments in their requests for media or PR services. The position requires flexibility of hours in-season due to evening and weekend performance/rehearsal schedules as well as other activities of the department.
- Collect, organize and acknowledge all press/media ticket requests, work with Audience Services Director on ticket related matters, seat orders, send alerts before every performance, and prepare tickets for distribution.
- Schedule and monitor interviews with artists, members of the creative team, and others as needed.
- Prepare Media Lounge pre-performances, work with Director in hosting the Lounge on performance nights as needed.
- Monitor media coverage; work with Media Coordinator in organizing all press archives including all media produced by the department.
- Assist Media Coordinator and Social Media Associate on social media campaign strategy and implementation, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn, Periscope, etc.
- Support Media Coordinator on SFO Instameet planning and logistics, and as on-site support at the events.
- Accompaniment of photographers and videographers while on campus when needed.
- Coordination of podcast and blog post creation, organization, and posting on website.
- Assist as needed in editing and distributing news releases.
- When requested, attend rehearsals, performances, community events, and other outside activities.
- With support from Director, answer queries via phone and email from patrons, ticket buyers, and general public.
- Provide support to Director and Media Coordinator for any media and public relations assignments as required.
College junior or senior pursuing Bachelor’s degree or similar level of advanced certification. Preference would be given for students in performing arts, arts administration, communications, journalism, marketing, business administration, general music, or similar education, and/or knowledge of opera.
- Knowledge of opera/performing/fine arts and current practices in the field
- Excellent writing ability including skills in copy writing and editing, proofreading, content, and adherence to company style
- High level of computer literacy with Microsoft Office and other Windows-based applications
- Energetic, positive, and flexible professional style
- Expertise with social media and website functionality
- Competency in learning new software programs, including website management and ticketing systems
- Ability to communicate clearly and work collaboratively with people in a variety of staff positions
- Ability to manage multiple critical timelines and deadlines, ensuring the timely completion of projects
- Ability to represent the Opera to critics, press representatives, and the general public with a high degree of professionalism, enthusiasm and knowledge
This position involves light work with lifting or moving of up to 20 pounds occasionally and the ability to provide tours, escort visitors, and spend late hours in the theater. It also requires manual dexterity to operate computers and other equipment.
This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. The fundamental job requirements are included and these are the essential job functions. Employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor. All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
The Santa Fe Opera
Attention: Human Resources
Post Office Box 2408
Santa Fe, New Mexico 87504-2408
Applications accepted for positions as they become available now through March 2, 2018.
If you are selected for a interview, you will be contacted by a member of The Santa Fe Opera staff.