COVID Compliance & Safety Manager
Full-time, 10-month engagement
The Santa Fe Opera is actively planning to reopen for the 2021 Festival Season and seeks a COVID Compliance & Safety Manager to develop COVID-safe reopening protocols, facilitate the company’s compliance with the most up-to-date government-mandated restrictions, and ensure the adoption and execution of best practices as established by public health officials. The COVID Compliance & Safety Manager will develop and oversee the company’s COVID-19 testing program for all staff, artists and musicians. This individual will serve as the onsite leader overseeing the implementation of the COVID-19 safety plan, including monitoring physical distancing, looking out for symptoms, ensuring disinfection protocols, educating colleagues on the use of personal protective equipment (PPE), and ensuring individuals adhere to all onsite health and safety protocols. The COVID Compliance & Safety Manager will serve as the primary liaison with community health experts, COVID-19 test providers, PPE vendors, and other safety equipment distributors as necessary.
- Develop the Santa Fe Opera’s COVID-safe reopening protocols; focused on a containment strategy to protect the well-being of staff, artists and musicians and mitigating the spread of COVID-19 among patrons.
- Orchestrate and implement the COVID-19 testing regimen and process (assigning medical personnel to posts, gathering biological material for testing, collecting/maintaining all related paperwork), and is among the first recipients of the test results, which will be kept confidential except as permitted to be disclosed.
- Serve as the primary liaison with community health experts, COVID-19 test providers, PPE vendors, and other safety equipment distributors as necessary.
- Provide training to all staff on best practices on health and safety related to COVID-19.
- Evaluate practices and procedures to assess risk and adherence to the law.
- Order supplies for COVID-19 testing.
- Advise the Director of Operations and Director of Production on the most effective PPE to protect staff and the best sanitation products to use in disinfecting all areas of campus.
- Enforce policies and protocols on-campus in conjunction with department management.
- Ensure employee screening protocols are in place, with the determined type of screening and frequency as appropriate.
- Ensure that all cast and crew routinely attest to symptoms and potential exposure to individuals who may have symptoms consistent with COVID-19.
- Manage staffing for COVID-19 test administration.
- Provide reports to management regarding concerns, violations, and compliance.
- Work with departments to implement social distancing protocols for office/work spaces.
- Stay current on new developments in health and safety to improve quality and efficacy of all processes.
- Ensure that the stage, rehearsal spaces, vocal studios, orchestra pit, costume and wig & makeup shops, offices and work places are prepared for and managed during use, which shall include an assessment of ventilation, air filtration and circulation, and the disinfecting of surfaces, property and equipment.
- Work in collaboration with the Director of Operations to ensure implementation of a comprehensive sanitation program.
- Work in collaboration with the Director of Production to ensure implementation of COVID-safe protocols in rehearsal, backstage, shops and performance areas.
- Work in collaboration with the Director of Audience Services to ensure implementation of COVID-safe protocols in front-of-house areas.
- Ability to adapt to varying work environments; possesses a strong pro-active work ethic and quickly adapt to new responsibilities.
- Ability to enforce protocols in a customer service-oriented manner.
- Ability to work well in a team environment.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills, proactive communicator.
- Proven strong organizational skills including logistics, time management and scheduling.
- Ability to work under pressure and think quickly to mitigate problems.
- Must be comfortable speaking to groups and providing training.
- Must demonstrate strong organizational and administrative skills and the ability to prioritize tasks, meet multiple deadlines, work independently, maintain policy/protocol with crew, and operate with authority when needed.
- Creative vision and an ability to think outside the box are crucial.
- Energetic, positive and flexible professional style; industrious, open, conscientious.
- Experience working in theater, performing arts or production is preferred.
- Healthcare or health safety background. Medical Assistant/EMT/Paramedic/Nursing experience preferred.
- 3+ years working in the health safety, compliance, or healthcare fields.
- CDC/WHO COVID-19 Training
This position is a full-time, 10-month engagement in Santa Fe, New Mexico, that requires flexibility of hours due to evening and weekend performances, rehearsals and events. Desired dates are January through October 2021.
This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. The fundamental job requirements are included and these are the essential job functions. Employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor. All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
The Santa Fe Opera has an industry-wide reputation as an excellent employer, providing rewarding opportunities amid a setting of great natural beauty. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, The Santa Fe Opera celebrates diversity and inclusion. We do not discriminate against any employee or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, creed, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, political affiliation or philosophy. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.
APPLICATION PROCESSApplication (PDF)
Submit completed general employment application, along with resume and cover letter, by e-mail to Human Resources or by mail to:
The Santa Fe Opera
Attention: Human Resources
Post Office Box 2408
Santa Fe, New Mexico 87504-2408
Seasonal employees begin arriving in the Spring and by early July, more than 600 employees are on board to make the upcoming season come to life.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer The Santa Fe Opera celebrates diversity and inclusion. We do not discriminate against any employee or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, creed, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, political affiliation or philosophy. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.
"you hear glorious melodies everywhere you turn, and laughter, and the sounds of children playing in the pool. Everyone is hardworking and professional, yet the level of camaraderie and shared commitment makes it feel more like a family than a workplace."
For more information on employment, contact: