Director of Production
The General Director
This is a year-round, full-time and benefitted exempt position.
Direct all production planning and operations in a safe, orderly, and efficient manner with consideration of budget constraints and in keeping with the overall mission of the company. Directs all work for the physical production including safety, scenery, props, costumes, lighting, audio/ video, orchestra services and wigs/ make-up, design development and designer relations, monitoring and forecasting annual budget, opera development workshops and education productions, and all other production elements. Through early and regular communication with the design teams, works to insure the on time delivery of designs and then works with the production department heads to make sure that the designs are accomplished within the budgeted time and materials. Maintain high standards for over-all production quality and presentation. This is a full time, exempt position with competitive compensation and full benefits
Develop a clear understanding of the production design and artistic goals to ensure proper operation and finish of all production elements.
Assist in analyzing designs to identify and resolve potential problems.
Plan and coordinate all production design presentations including oversight of travel and accommodations.
Ensure appropriate materials are received from the design team and properly disseminated to production and administrative staff as required/ requested.
Direct all production planning, scheduling, and coordination activities with the production department.
Coordinate season stage use and orchestra calendars with the Artistic Department and rehearsal office.
Direct and plan all production budget analysis, planning and tracking and coordinate with Chief Financial Officer, Production Administrator and Production department heads.
Assist designers, directors, and production staff in assessing priorities throughout the production process and keep them apprised of any problems, while offering constructive and appropriate solutions.
Lead all production meetings and other production planning sessions. Disseminate meeting information to relevant persons.
Ensure proper preparedness for all rehearsals, performances, and other production projects and activities.
Participate in and support staging and technical rehearsals as needed, directing communications and production planning among design team and production department.
Lead all departments in appropriate safety procedures and clear understanding of the Safety Manual and Safety Program.
Ensure that all production employees are aware of personnel policies and other policies and procedures of the Company regarding their work and employment.
Lead pre-performance safety walks and, with the Associate Director of Production, ensure attendance and supervision of all performances.
Ensure that Safety personnel have appropriate worker’s comp paperwork and that it is properly completed and filed.
Lead all coproduction and production rental coordination, including, but not limited to: promoting productions amongst partner companies; contract negotiation; budget development and tracking; shipping; and coordination with outside companies.
Direct all hiring for the Production Department including position advertising, regular review of job descriptions, checking, approving and signing all contracts.
Hire all key department head positions including: updating job descriptions, recruiting, interviewing, and contracting.
Communicate with the General Director and Artistic Department any appropriate updates, changes and issues regarding the design process and progress.
Conduct/ ensure regular review process for all members of the Production Department is completed and provide those reviews to HR.
Approve all leave requests for the production staff including all work related travel.
Coordinate and support PR requests as they relate to the Production Department including but not limited to: Photo shoots, press conferences, interviews, filming, etc.
- Participate in all activities of the Leadership Team including regular meetings
- Participate and represent the production department in any board-related meetings as directed by the General Director
- Represent the Company and the Production department in public forums and as a presenter in meetings as assigned.
- Give support and show appreciation to the Board of Directors, Opera Guilds, patrons, and other volunteer organizations and supporters of The Santa Fe Opera.
- Maintain professional network and development through professional organizations such as Opera America and USITT.
- Follow procedures and policies of The Santa Fe Opera as stated in the employee manual.
- Accept responsibility for other appropriate projects relating to The Santa Fe Opera.
- Other duties as assigned.
SKILLS and training
- A BA in Theatre or comparable professional experience in technical theatre production, preferably including experience and understanding of: set and prop construction and rigging; lighting and video projection; sound reinforcement; and costuming.
- Training in, experience and understanding of safe practices for the theatre environment.
- Training in and understanding of basic scenery, props, costumes, lighting, video projection, and sound designs and implementations.
- Strong organizational , communication, and interpersonal skills.
- The ability to stay flexible and solution-oriented within fast-paced and ever-changing environments and personalities.
- The ability to maintain and work within a budget.
- Comprehensive skills in reading and interpreting design and build drawings and renderings.
- Willingness and ability to work within rigorous and demanding time schedules, including morning, evening and weekend hours.
- Willingness and ability to work with a variety of different personalities and skill levels.
- Understanding of business operations, accounting, and bookkeeping practices.
- Strong computer skills, including knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word. Auto CAD is a plus.
- Understanding of building construction a plus.
This position involves moderate work with lifting or moving of up to 40 pounds occasionally, occasional climbing and work from ladders and standing for long periods of time. The position requires ability to use computer equipment, manual dexterity, and the ability to communicate verbally and in written word. This position requires long hours and a flexible work schedule.
This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. The fundamental job requirements are included and these are the essential job functions. Employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor. All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
The Santa Fe Opera has an industry-wide reputation as an excellent employer, providing rewarding opportunities amid a setting of great natural beauty. As an Equal Opportunity Employer The Santa Fe Opera celebrates diversity and inclusion. We do not discriminate against any employee or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, creed, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, political affiliation or philosophy. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.
Submit resume and cover letter, by e-mail to Human Resources or by mail to:
Deadline: November 15
There are approximately 70 staff members working around the year in a variety of areas—from production, marketing, and fundraising to technical, administrative, and maintenance of the Opera's beautiful grounds.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer The Santa Fe Opera celebrates diversity and inclusion. We do not discriminate against any employee or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, creed, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, political affiliation or philosophy. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.
"ARRIVING TO WORK, LOOKING OUT ACROSS THE TESUQUE VALLEY SURROUNDED BY THE JEMEZ AND SANGRE DE CRISTO MOUNTAINS IS A SIGHT TO BEHOLD... THIS IS AN AMAZING WORK SETTING."
For more information on employment, contact: