The position is responsible for performing tasks at both the Opera’s main property. Duties include general carpentry and construction, and swimming pool maintenance; troubleshooting, repair, and maintenance of heating and air conditioning systems, refrigeration equipment, ice machines, generators, kitchen appliances, and other Opera equipment.
Additionally, general janitorial assignments must be completed satisfactorily on a routine basis. The Assistant will work closely with their supervisor to prioritize tasks.
- Carpentry, cabinetry, and construction experience.
- Good working knowledge of building systems.
- General knowledge of maintenance, cleaning and repair.
- Must be able to speak English.
- Must be able to drive a motor vehicle.
- Must be able to handle a truck with a trailer, a forklift, and a tractor.
- Must be able to organize and perform many different tasks at multiple locations.
- Must have good supervisory skills and be neat and organized.
- Must possess a valid operator’s license.
- 40 hours per week, regular schedule being Monday-Friday 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Some flexibility of hours may occur due to scheduled events during the course of the year. Weekend work is occasionally necessary (hours over 40 per week paid at time and a half). Additional hours may be required in June through September )
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds. Must not be allergic to cleaning products. Must be able to spend significant amount of time on your feet. This job requires a lot of walking and climbing stairs, and use of ladders. A uniform (shirt) is required and will be provided.
Eligibility to work
Must provide documents proving eligibility to work in this country.
This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. The fundamental job requirements are included and these are the essential job functions. Employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor. All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
The Santa Fe Opera has an industry-wide reputation as an excellent employer, providing rewarding opportunities amid a setting of great natural beauty. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, The Santa Fe Opera celebrates diversity and inclusion. We do not discriminate against any employee or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, creed, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, political affiliation or philosophy. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.
The Santa Fe Opera has implemented a mandatory COVID vaccination policy, which requires employees/interns to be fully vaccinated against COVID to perform work for the company or have been approved for an accommodation based on disability or sincerely held religious belief. Employees will be considered fully vaccinated two weeks after receiving the requisite number of doses of a COVID-19 vaccine and a booster.
Positions require proof of eligibility to work. Submit a completed employment application form, your resume, cover letter and e-mail to Human Resources or by mail to:
The Santa Fe Opera
Attention: Human Resources
Post Office Box 2408
Santa Fe, New Mexico 87504-2408