illuminating topics in Opera since 2012!
In the dark about opera? Well, lighten up and Join Oliver Prezant in Santa Fe and Albuquerque this spring for five themed-talks base that relate to our upcoming 2017 season.
Why was the waltz such a hot and heavy symbol of pleasure in so many operas? What was music tech like when opera was invented (around 1600) and where are we now? And what’s up with all those mad scenes? Join Oliver Prezant for the Santa Fe Opera Spotlight Series - five fun, informative talks on opera and the SFO's 2017 season. Each presentation looks at a variety of operas through the lens of a single topic, and each culminates in a preview of one of the five productions of the SFO’s upcoming season. Whether you’re an aficionado or a newcomer, these engaging, accessible presentations will increase your enjoyment and understanding of opera.
Admission is free . . .
Santa Fe, Collected Works Bookstore and Coffeehouse
Fridays at 6:00 PM
- April 21 - Crazy for Mad Scenes! Donizetti's Lucia di Lammermoor
- April 28 - Shall We Dance? The Waltz in Opera. Strauss' Die Fledermaus
- May 5 - Birds of a Feather: Rimsky-Korsakov and Stravinsky. Rimsky Korsakov's The Golden Cockerel
- May 12 - Music Tech: 600 A.D. to the Present. Bates' The (R)evolution of Steve Jobs
- May 19 - Who Wears the Pants? Women in Disguise! Handel's Alcina
Albuquerque, Albuquerque Museum Auditorium
Sundays, 1:30 PM
- April 23 - Crazy for Mad Scenes! Donizetti's Lucia di Lammermoor
- April 30 - Shall We Dance? The Waltz in Opera. Strauss' Die Fledermaus
- May 7 - Birds of a Feather: Rimsky-Korsakov and Stravinsky. Rimsky Korsakov's The Golden Cockerel
- May 14 - Music Tech: 600 A.D. to the Present. Bates' The (R)evolution of Steve Jobs
- May 28 - Who Wears the Pants? Women in Disguise! Handel's Alcina
Your road map for that evening’s performance, these talks are complementary to ticket holders and are held in Stieren Orchestra Hall twice before most performances. The first talk is given two hours before the performance and the second is one hour before. For best availability and due to popularity, the first talk is recommended.
Prelude Talks are not offered on June 30, 2017, or before Apprentice Scenes.
Enhance Your Evening
From backstage tours to prelude talks to the Opera Shop, you will find something to make your night at the Opera even more memorable.
For more information, contact:
Education & Community Programs