Pueblo Opera Cultural Council
The Pueblo Opera Cultural Council (POCC) is composed of seven members from San Ildefonso Pueblo, Santa Clara Pueblo and Tesuque Pueblo. These three Pueblos and six of these members participated in the historic corn dance that preceded performances of Doctor Atomic in 2018. The council is guided in their practice by diplomat, Emily Johnson who was the choreographer for Doctor Atomic and is open to membership by invitation from the council.
In the 2018 festival season, audiences at the opera experienced an unprecedented and historical expression of community as members of San Ildefonso Pueblo, Santa Clara Pueblo and Tesuque Pueblo joined together to offer a corn dance before performances of Doctor Atomic. All involved wished to continue to explore opportunities for working together. The work began with a series of gatherings that resulted in the formation of the Pueblo Opera Cultural Council.
To share our living indigenous cultural existence through knowledge of prayer, dance, song, music and art.
- The Pueblo Opera Cultural Council is led by the Pueblos.
- The Pueblo Opera Cultural Council honors its focus on healing.
- The Pueblo Opera Cultural Council wants to build conscientiously but without hesitation.
- The Pueblo Opera Cultural Council will work to have and to give support to other Indigenous artists.
- The opera occupies Tesuque land and we must find ways to honor and acknowledge this fact.