Thank you for inquiring about docent opportunities at The Santa Fe Opera. Please fill out the Docent Application Form below and our Volunteer Coordinator will be in touch with you.
For general volunteer opportunities, please fill out the following application: Apply Here
Please read the following prior to filling out the application:
- Santa Fe Opera docents are often the only contact the public has with the company. Therefore, they are expected to transmit accurate information as to SFO’s history, production, and repertory, as well as house and backstage details.
- Docent tours run approximately one hour and cover a number of production stations on three different ground levels backstage, including much walking up and down stairs. Day to day tour routes vary according to production needs and schedules.
- Docent training includes mandatory attendance at a high percentage of the 12 or more sessions (2.5 to 3 hours each) over a 3 week period, Mondays/Tuesdays through Fridays beginning in late May until early June on the opera grounds.
- First year trainees are expected to shadow (follow) several experienced docent’s tours (at least two of which should be with your mentor) after completion of the group training sessions.
- Each trainee will also be assigned a personal mentor docent, who will help prepare the trainee to gradually handle portions of the tour, and then shadow the trainee’s first tour(s) and meet afterwards for an informal review.
Docent Application Form
"*" indicates required fields