Assistant House Manager
In association with the House Manager:
- Monitor activities in the theater, ensuring that all rehearsals and performances are undisturbed;
- Anticipate safety issues in the theatre and surrounding areas, and supervise services from outside security vendors.
- Control admittance into the theater for evening performances and dress rehearsals
- Supervision of the usher corps and their seating of patrons on performance evenings;
- Prepare the position sheets for the usher core on a nightly basis.
- Maintain program book inventory and oversee the delivery, storage and distribution of program books throughout the season;
- Distribute cameras and lost and found items at the conclusion of performances; maintain neat and orderly lost and found storage;
- Secure the theater at the close of performances;
- Communicate with the Parking Lot Supervisor, Stage Manager, and Box Office Managers on performance evenings so that front-of-house activities are coordinated accordingly.
Any combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying. Typical qualifications would be:
- Diploma or equivalency degree from accredited high school with major coursework in business administration, theater, or a closely-related field;
- Undergraduate coursework in theater or the arts or equivalent experience in opera, theater, or the arts.
- Principles and practices of arts administration and theater organization;
- Modern theater practices and procedures;
- Principles and practices of interviewing and hiring;
- Modern management techniques and practices.
- Accurate typing and word-processing at 40 words per minute;
- Proficient management and manipulation of spreadsheet software and general Windows knowledge;
- Independent thinking and problem-solving;
- Clear communication, both verbal and written, with diverse audience;
- Able to establish positive working relationships with variety of others.
- Possession of a valid motor vehicle operator’s license, and willingness to use personal vehicle in the course of employment.
This is a full-time, seasonal, exempt position.
Must be able to drive a motor vehicle. This position involves light work with lifting or moving of up to 50 pounds occasionally and up to 10 pounds frequently. There is constant standing, walking and finger dexterity needed to handle paper items, use computer and merchandise. Frequent crouching, stooping and reaching are required. Frequent phone contact is required.
This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. The fundamental job requirements are included and these are the essential job functions. Employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor. All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
The Santa Fe Opera has an industry-wide reputation as an excellent employer, providing rewarding opportunities amid a setting of great natural beauty. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, The Santa Fe Opera celebrates diversity and inclusion. We do not discriminate against any employee or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, creed, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, political affiliation or philosophy. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.