- Monitor activities in the theater, ensuring that all rehearsals and performances are undisturbed;
- Anticipate safety issues in the theatre and surrounding areas, and supervise services from outside security vendors.
- Control admittance into the theater at rehearsals and performances, using Nscan devices;
- Management of the usher corps and their seating of patrons on performance evenings;
- Oversee scheduling, hiring, discipline, motivation and morale of usher staff;
- Prepare the record of hours worked by members of the Usher Corps for payroll purposes.
- Maintain program book inventory and coordinate the delivery, storage and distribution of program books throughout the season;
- Monitor all regularly scheduled and special tours of the theater;
- Distribute lost and found items at the conclusion of performances; secure and maintain neat and orderly lost and found storage;
- Secure the theater at the close of performances;
- Communicate with the Parking Lot Supervisor, Stage Manager, and Box Office Managers on performance evenings to coordinate audience service activities.
Any combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying. Typical qualifications would be:
- Diploma or equivalency degree from accredited high school with major coursework in business administration, theater, or a closely-related field;
- Undergraduate coursework in theater or the arts or equivalent experience in opera, theater, or the arts.
- Principles and practices of arts administration and theater organization;
- Modern theater practices and procedures;
- Principles and practices of interviewing and hiring;
- Modern management techniques and practices.
- Accurate typing and word-processing
- Proficient management and manipulation of spreadsheet software and general Windows knowledge;
- Independent thinking and problem-solving;
- Clear communication, both verbal and written, with diverse audience;
- Able to establish positive working relationships with variety of others.
This is a full-time, seasonal, exempt position.
This position involves light work with lifting or moving of up to 50 pounds occasionally and up to 10 pounds frequently. There is constant standing, walking and finger dexterity, use computer and other applications. Frequent crouching, stooping and reaching are required. Frequent telephone and radio communication is required.
This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. The fundamental job requirements are included and these are the essential job functions. Employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor. All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
The Santa Fe Opera has an industry-wide reputation as an excellent employer, providing rewarding opportunities amid a setting of great natural beauty. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, The Santa Fe Opera celebrates diversity and inclusion. We do not discriminate against any employee or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, creed, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, political affiliation or philosophy. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.
The Santa Fe Opera has implemented a mandatory COVID vaccination policy, which requires employees/interns to be fully vaccinated against COVID to perform work for the company or have been approved for an accommodation based on disability or sincerely held religious belief. Employees will be considered fully vaccinated two weeks after receiving the requisite number of doses of a COVID-19 vaccine and a booster.
Positions require proof of eligibility to work.
- Submit a completed employment application form using either the (PDF) Form or Online Form.
- Submit your (PDF) application form, resume and cover letter by email to Human Resources or by mail to:
The Santa Fe Opera
Attention: Human Resources
Post Office Box 2408
Santa Fe, New Mexico 87504-2408